Forums > LAND ROVER VEHICLES > Defender Forum > TDi to LT85

Tdi To Lt85
Steve H

Replacing the 3.5 V8 in a mid 80s 110 with a TDi motor, is it possible to mate the Tdi to the LT85 box? Anyone done it & if so whats involved?
Steve H

i was going to do this exact same thing when i built my 90. i had a freshly rebuilt LT85 and wanted to mate my 300 to it.

i contacted Ashcrofts, and they said that it isn't really that possible, and that it would cost much £££!

however.... i;ve been looking into getting one of those International 2.8 powerstroke engines to replace the 300Tdi. these are a direct replacement for the 300Tdi (among others), but they also sell kits to mate this engine to the V8 R380 gearboxes and the ZF auto box. so if they sell the bellhousing/clutch cover to mate this engine to the R380, then it will also fit the LT85 (same bolt pattern for the v8's).

Sooo.... you have 2 choices...either buy the 2.8! or contact M&D engineering and see how similar the 2.8 block is to the 2.5 Tdi (very similar i think). you <may> be able to buy the clutch cover separately and make them fit.

contact details are:

MOTOR & DIESEL ENGINEERING (ANGLIA) LTD.,
ROWAN FARM,
PRIORY ROAD,
RUSKINGTON,
SLEAFORD,
LINCS.
NG34 9DJ

TELEPHONE :- 01526 830 185

enquiries@mdengineering.co.uk
www.mdengineering.co.uk
Steve H

alot of hassle for little gain dont bother better just sticking with the LT77 or an R380 with a 200 tdi/TD bellhousing.
Miserableolgit

LT85 is a nice box though.
Steve H

Possibly means that Ashcrofts simply don`t do this conversion. The vehicle I`m after already has a LT85 which in my opinion is a much stronger & more capable box than the LT77 or R380, both of which seem to have their problems, especially when the TDi motor is tuned a bit ie bigger intercooler & modified fuelling etc. So, looks like I`ll contact M & D if theres nothing else to add. Thanks for the responses especially diesel jim, I`d like to go the Power Stroke way but the strength of our dollar would tend to mitigate against that route so it would be likely to be a 300TDi from a wrecked Discovery.
PS allowing that the torque rating of the R380 is 380Nm then what is that of the LT77 given that I believe they share the same 77mm shaft spacing?
Steve H

Bringing this back to the top to say that Zues make a bellhousing so that the LT85 and LT95 can mate to the 200 Tdi and 300 Tdi.

http://www.zeus.uk.com/housing.htm
Steve H

I knew that Zeus made a bell housing for the LT95 box but was not aware that these were compatible with the bolt pattern on the front of the LT85 boxes or is there in fact a different bell housing for the LT85 ones.
LES BROCK

Hi,

I just happen to have one of these baby's sat in the shed (picked it up a Sodbury for............£18.00 makes you sick don't it, gloat over) seriously though if you want any info or pics let me know

Les
LES BROCK

I'll give you £19 for it
Tdi To Lt85
Jump to forum: Go
Subscription Available

All forums are moderated and should not be used to promote businesses or products. Please create your own profile or group for this. We reserve the right to remove any comment we feel is inappropriate at any time.

Privacy | Terms & Conditions | Subscriptions
MEMBER LOGIN
Connect
Cars For Sale
Featured Advertisers
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy notice | Subs Info
Our Other Websites: Auto Express | Computer Buyer | Computer Shopper | Custom PC | Den of Geek | Den of Wii | Fortean Times | IT Pro
London is Free | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | Octane | PC Pro | The First Post | iGizmo
iMotor | DigitalSLR photography | bit-tech