Forums > THE OVERLAND FORUMS > Equipment & Tech > Tyre inflator

Tyre Inflator
sebdefender

Hihi
I plan to buy a tyre inflator and could see various ideas from going to Halfords to installing an air conditionning compressor. Apparently the portable ones are not up to the job, can someone tell me hos to install an ac compressor? tks
sebdefender

sebdefender wrote:

Hihi
I plan to buy a tyre inflator and could see various ideas from going to Halfords to installing an air conditionning compressor. Apparently the portable ones are not up to the job, can someone tell me hos to install an ac compressor? tks

AC compressor means 240 volts AC normally which means you will need an invertor.

Have tried the Truckair one but was not impressed

Want good advice and help try Chris at http://www.boab.biz/index.htm

He gives good advice and has good kit.

Regards

Leeds
sebdefender

Do you mean an off road vehicle mounted unit?

The type you would use in the field to inflate you tyres after a deflation?

Or a bicycle pump?
spacemutt

We all have T-Max compressors. They are a brilliant bit of kit, good and strong and very reasonably priced. They will inflate a Land Rover tyre in no-time. Matt Savage was selling compressors that look the same as these at Billing for £200. I don't know what the difference is in quality, but we've never had one fail on us. In our shop at £58.75.
jjojjas

how big are they? (measurements)
Jas
MATT NEALE

Quote:

AC compressor means 240 volts AC normally which means you will need an invertor.

Nope - not at all.

Standard vehicle aircon compressor mounted in the standard position but plumbed into either a receiver tank or simply with an airline run from it will work perfectly well. The only electronics involved is the 12v switch for the compressor clutch.

If you really want to go overboard, you could also include an automatic oiler in the intake and an oil extractor/catcher in the outlet - mineral oil tends to attack the rubber that is used in tyres...

Have a quick look here http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_oilmod.html for some ideas.

Matt
MATT NEALE

AC to me meant Alternating Current hence 240 volts hence need for invertor.

Looks like AC here means Air Conditioning and hence DC (12 vots Direct Current)

Oooops  Arrow

Regards

Leeds
spacemutt

The main body of the compressor is 26 wide, 14 deep and 19 high (cm). The air line can be unplugged and uses the standard air-suzzie connectors.
sebdefender

Cool tks to you all for your replies
sebdefender

Randall
You are correct i am looking for a system to quickly reinflate my tyres to road pressure  after a run on the beach.
Spacemutt, how long does it take for the Tmax to reinflate a tyre (i got the 235/85R16)
Frank Elson

I've got a Truckair and am very impressed with it.
Done eight tyres from around 20 up to mid thirties more than once when we've been out laning.
Frank Elson

I would strongly suggest a CO2 tank in lieu of a compressor.  Cheaper, more versitile, non-electrical (!), portable, and MUCH faster.  You can match CO2 performance with a top-of-the-line compressor, but it's EXPESNIVE.
Frank Elson

YUP... SCSL is correct....

CO-2 is faster... cheaper... less dangerous... and the simplest manner to go for inflation.... one little refillable bottle can do umpteen tyres... and refill at home.

It's lighter to carry a CO-2 than a whole 'electrically-charged' outfit!  And with the CO, more fits in the can!
sebdefender

Randall, scsl
Very convincing on the co2 bottle althoug is there an issue putting co2 in a tyre?
Where can i get them? What accessories do i need for the tyres?
sebdefender

Carbon Dioxide (Co2) is as dangerous as what we breath out every day... no prob... the least dangerous of gases... the safe-est -- if that's a proper word.

Safer than Oxygen... non flammable.  Any place that provides Brewing facilities... for in-home brewmasters, has it, in small tanks... own the tank... go for refills.

Hook up with a local parts supplier for air-tools, and they will supply the hose conection and pressure hand-switch for a tire gauge.

Safe-est solution.
Gilly

H guys,

right I am a very genuine novice at this but your post on the Co2 canister for inflating after offroad deflation is interesting.  Can you give me a rough idea of what size canister you are talking about here,

thanks for your help

Don't live with regrets, cos there are no 'rewind' buttons on 'life'

Gilly

Take a look at this...

http://www.powertank.com/

Simon

Gilly

Hi Simon,

thanks for the link

Gilly

sebdefender wrote:

What accessories do i need for the tyres?

NONE!  All it is is just air really... it's just that more fits into a little can because it can be compressed safely to a higher pressure!

Go to a home brewery supply... best place to find a small can ( 18 inches by 5 inches in diameter) ... fit it with an air line to a fitting for tyres.

Gilly

One draw back would appear to be problem with refilling  CO2 tank.

Now having spoken to experienced LR overlanders they have commented that in certain terrains getting multiple punctures simultaneously is not unknown.  Wonder how long a single CO2 tank would last in those sort of conditions.

Maybe a case for horses for courses

Regards

Leeds

Tyre Inflator
Jump to forum: Go
Subscription Available

All forums are moderated and should not be used to promote businesses or products. Please create your own profile or group for this. We reserve the right to remove any comment we feel is inappropriate at any time.

Privacy | Terms & Conditions | Subscriptions
MEMBER LOGIN
Connect
Cars For Sale
Featured Advertisers
Members Online
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy notice | Subs Info
Our Other Websites: Auto Express | Computer Buyer | Computer Shopper | Custom PC | Den of Geek | Den of Wii | Fortean Times | IT Pro
London is Free | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | Octane | PC Pro | The First Post | iGizmo
iMotor | DigitalSLR photography | bit-tech