Forums > LAND ROVER VEHICLES > Defender Forum > Exchange gearoil for MTF 94

Exchange Gearoil For Mtf 94
Diff

Hi . Is it anybody more then me that have heard of oil that are better ore can be used instead of the MTF 94 ? . Rob B ? . Anyone ? .

Reg. Anders S !

Diff

Anders, I've not heard anything from Landrover other than MTF94 what have you heard ?

Rob. http://www.british4x4.com

Diff

The Italian version the TD5 Def. owner’s manual (VDH100560) says that ATF Dexron II D must be used in the gearbox .... and it doesn’t even mention MTF94!!

Thanks god I decided to buy the workshop manual but, since MTF94 is pretty hard to find here, I’ve already used ATF;

N.B. when I have ATF in my gearbox I change it every 20.000 Km ...

Bye from Spaz

Diff

Spaz .

MTF 94 are a later oil then Dex ATF II , II-D, III . Therefore it´s not named in early owner manuals . The oil shall protect better about high torque and wear on gears , it has more protecting additives . I´l Tink ATF is to thin, even if Landr. says it´s okay . The boxes don´t hold . Especially in high temp and torq. in the 380 box .

I think mine gearbox has been a little less noisy since i started to use it (MTF).

You can buy MTF oil direct from Landrover partnumber STC 9157 5 Liter ore STC 9158 1 Liter . Price around 28-32 Euro here in SWE. for 5 Liter .

Now to Rob .

I heard that Honda use the same oil in their gearboxes (MTF). And you can buy it in 20 liters can . Take the price down a little per L. .

Castrol clame that their SMX-S full syntetic SAE75W/85 can be used instead of MTF . There are one guy here now that changed his oil in the 380 box (2001 Def. , change from MTF to Castr. SMX-S ). And he says that the box was easier to shift and had even less noice .

When i have changed oil on my gearbox , i have been worried over how the oil looks (like metallic paint plus the magnet full of metall ) . And i don´t use the car hard . So i´m ready to use whatever to make it wear less .

Reg. Anders S !

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Anders S ]

Ben Reedy

Anders, encouraged by our friend Rob I have changed to MTF 94, which I got from Unipart. Like you I was always alarmed at the metallic particles in the ATF, it will be interesting to see what comes out when I change the oil next time but my initial impression is that the 'box is definitely quieter, especially when hot, and changes are easier. Anything that prolongs the gearbox has to be worth it.
Ben Reedy

Well Anders, I know it is possible to buy MTF94 from my dealer, and I know MTF94 is better than ATF but I just thought the questions were:

... Oils that can be used instead of the MTF 94 ?

... heard anything from Landrover other than MTF94?

Ben Reedy

From Landrover you don´t hear anything before they used a lot of customer as testing-rabbits and broken a lot of cars .

But that will be expensive for the customers/users , not Landrover .

Castrol SMX-S as i said . Not approved from L.. It´s Castr. that says in their catalog/dealer that Rover plus Volvo,Toyota,Honda, Nissan use them and that specific oil now .

Was just wondering if anyone other than me heard anything about it . Ore some other brand/oil . Better than MTF94

Anders S

Ben Reedy

Magnus !. Du kan köpa det hos Rover/Liljas som originaldel med det nummret jag angav tidigare här uppe STC 9157 5 liter eller STC 9158 1 litersförpackningar .

Just told him it´s the same part number in Sweden on MTF 94.

And guess what . I was around our Volvo garage (Volvo took over the Landrover group in Sweden app. 1 year ago) before work . And in their papers they recommend MOBILE SHC 30 (i´l think i got it right) for the R380 box . And have newer heard of MTF 94 , ore have it in any paper .

Hahahahaha !!!!!!! .

Now it´s seems to be clearer and clearer .

Witch one is the best then ???????????? .

Anders S

Ben Reedy

Anders, Castrol SMX-S is 75w/85 according to them and yet MTF94 is only 10w/40 this is a big difference in viscocity and I'm surprised the oil pump in the R380 can take it.

Ben Reedy

Hej Anders!

I've been using Dexron III in my R380 and the box has worked OK and I don't see any of the metallic flakes when I change oil. However, I'm curious about the MTF94 and if it can be bought here in Sweden at other places than main dealers?

/Magnus

Ben Reedy

Well i´m start to think we are all used in a big test/conspiration to see if it´s work out on our gearboxes (like all people running around with their gsm phone/cellphone in their ear , and nobody can say it okay ore dangerous !? , but you take the risk ).

Thinking on what you are thinking to Rob . If the oil is to thick , there can be problem .

Do you know if the pump has metal ore fiber gears ? ( haven´t digged that deep yet ).

And the oil can be stopped before the intake to the pump as well , making it cavity/cavitate (ore how you spell it) .

Good you had the 10w-40 , i have tryed to find what it has . But it´s not written on the originally cans (5L) .

We wait and see if their oilpump holds . It´s not mine . But if they are recommended it and it´s wrong . That´s real bad . Strange That Volvo was recommended the Mobile !!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!?????? ( i saw their bullentin in the workingstations computers ).

Thanks Reg. Anders S

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Anders S ]

Red90rover

SAE gear oil viscosity ratings and motor oil ratings are different. Got to love SAE for the confusion.

Roughly speaking, the viscosity equivalents are as follows:

SAE 40/50 motor oil = SAE 90 gear oil
SAE 30 motor oil = SAE 85W gear oil
SAE 20/20W motor oil = SAE 80W gear oil
SAE 10W motor oil = SAE 75W gear oil

This is general equivalency at 100F/40C. It is quite confusing as SAE's rating system is not all that intuative and pre dates modified viscosity oils.

Red90rover

I dragged up the actual SAE standards from the 1985 book anyway.

Basically the way it goes is if the number has a "W" after it the visocsity rating is based on low temperature viscosity. Without the "W" it is based on viscosity at 100C. The ratings and tests for motor and gear oils are different.

With "W" rated motor oils they are trying to specify a temperature limit for borderline pumping. For "W" gear oils they specify the temeprature for a viscosity of 150000cP which is way below the pumpability range.

Non "W" ratings are simpler as they specify a viscosity range at 100C.

Red90rover

http://192.148.139.212/products_oil_detail.asp?id=107

They show 10.5 cSt @100C which would classify under an SAE30 motor oil or an SAE80 gear oil and almost an SAE85 (limit is 11 cSt)

For the low temp end it is confusing as there spec is not the same as SAE. From the SAE viscosity chart it is below an SAE75W gear oil and probably around an SAE0W motor oil.

Red90rover

John, thanks for the info and Caltex's page. The viscosity rating I gave came directly from Landrover's Technical Bulletin 0007 that announced the change in specification.

"MTF94 meets requirements RES.57.02.593 and ACEA A2:96, viscosity range 10W/40"

The RPI website transmission section also states:

"The LT77 should be used with Castrol SMX or Similar lightweight Transmission Oil's"

So looking at the info they are both the same ?

Red90rover

Anders wrote: "That Volvo was recommended the Mobile !!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!??????"

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/e4b50e69ca161a4b852568090074c2ed?OpenDocument

Temp MTF94 Viscosity SHC30 Vis
-40C 60000 38400
40C 53.2 71
100C 10.5 10.8

If you compare these both to an ATF such as Mobil 1 synthetic, they are both more viscose.

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/e6304d7636fb1888852567b50055eadb?OpenDocument

Red90rover

Thank´s all folks for your investigations .

I´l think we start to straight it all out now .

If anyone have something new in the future please write it .

Reg. Anders S !

Red90rover

So for all us that we don't understand chinese which oils can we use? Is Mobil or Castrol OK? It will be very useful if someone can recommend several brands since different brands can be (or not) found in different countries.
Red90rover

Well .

Casrol SMX-S

Mobil SHC 30

Seems okay after all ! .

But the original MTF94 from Landrover/Texaco/Caltex have the lowest price here in Sweden .

Anders

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Anders S ]

Exchange Gearoil For Mtf 94
Jump to forum: Go
Subscription Available

All forums are moderated and should not be used to promote businesses or products. Please create your own profile or group for this. We reserve the right to remove any comment we feel is inappropriate at any time.

Privacy | Terms & Conditions | Subscriptions
MEMBER LOGIN
Connect
Cars For Sale
Featured Advertisers
Members Online
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy notice | Subs Info
Our Other Websites: Auto Express | Computer Buyer | Computer Shopper | Custom PC | Den of Geek | Den of Wii | Fortean Times | IT Pro
London is Free | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | Octane | PC Pro | The First Post | iGizmo
iMotor | DigitalSLR photography | bit-tech