Forums > LAND ROVER VEHICLES > Series Forum > Late? Series IIA identification problems.

Late? Series Iia Identification Problems.
Gribun

Apologies if these questions has been answered before but my search did not turn up anything useful. Confused?

I have a (newly acquired  Arrow) EX-MOD Series IIA 109" 3/4 ton FFR. my chassis # is 25438736 H. From this, and the obvious pointers of the headlights in the wings but sticky out door hinges, can I assume it is a 'Late' SIIA, post 1968? How can I find out the precise year of manufacture? It also has a 'deluxe' bonnet, from what year was the deluxe bonnet an option and would it have been fitted to an Army FFR vehicle from the factory?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers, Matt.
Gribun

Exact build date you will need the factory records - either go to Gaydon and look it up yourself or pay them to do it for you
Delux bonnet was standard on series 2 109's so unless the mod specified otherwise thats what it would have had
Gribun

Thanks for the info. I am in Canada so I will have to pay to get the records looked up at Gaydon. I did not realize that all the SII 109"s had the deluxe bonnet.

Thanks again.  Arrow

Matt.
B2B_78

Canada you say? Looking up your information on the Ottawa Valley site (or at least I have it in my mind it's from there http://www.lrfaq.org/index.html ) you will find that 25434632 was made on 31 December 1970 and 25438910 was made on 31 December 1971 so figuring they do a few less than 400 a month, I'd guess yours was made about middle of December 1971.

Greg S
West Coast of Canada
1970 109 SW 2.25P
RMParas, PTO winch
VA7IIA

B2B_78

The 1971 date would seem to make sense as the steering arms are underneath the swivel balls, so I am going to go with that for registration purposes.

Thanks a lot for all the help. Series II dating is more difficult than I had first assumed.

Arrow, Matt.

Greg S
West Coast of Canada
1970 109 SW 2.25P
RMParas, PTO winch
VA7IIA

B2B_78

The only problem with those date is that the Series three was supposed to be introduced in October '71. So? Was the assembly line making Series II and Series III at the same time? Arrow

Greg S
West Coast of Canada
1970 109 SW 2.25P
RMParas, PTO winch
VA7IIA

Gazzar

Could be an early series III.  I've seen a series III with series IIa hinges.  Chassis number 317.

Or landrover finished  a batch of military  in the middle of starting III production.  With landrover anything's possible.

Forest of Dean.

Gazzar

Confused? From the looks of it I think it is more Series IIA than III as the (missing) instrument panel is located in the centre of the bulkhead and not in front of the driver as in a Series III. I suppose during its Army career it could have picked up a few non standard fitting as well. Also it is not exactly in ex-reserve condition. I would post some pictures to try and give you guys an idea of what I am looking at but I am hopeless at doing that sort of thing with computers, but I will give it a try later. Perhaps that is why I like old Land Rovers? Please see photo's in the North American section, "Does anybody want to save this SIIa from the crusher" thread for pictures in the meantime.

Very confusing, it would seem easier to accurately date a Ford model 'T' than a Land Rover from the late sixties/early seventies.

I may have to pay-up and contact the folks at Gaydon.

Thanks again for the help.

Arrow, Matt.

Forest of Dean.

you are all asuming it is in "oringinal" condition.. who's to say its hasnt been repaired with whatever was at hand over the years?

www.alpinerovers.com

i'm in with the out crowd

S2's were beein made in overlap with s3's
The were some made in 72 and maybe even some MOD ones in early 73 (not sure on that though)
If you want an exact data contact gaydon heritage centre, they have the build records so can give the date it left the factory , costs about £5 if you just want to know and dont want the certificate,
There is n way from the chasiss number series of a S2a or S3 to date them accuratly (other than knowing exactly how many of each chassis series were made, when the first and last of that series were made and assuming a linear distribution though that period ...which it wot be , nor did they come of the line in chassis no order)

www.alpinerovers.com

Yup, I think the Gaydon option will have to used. For vehicle registration and insurance they do like to have an accurate date of manufacture.

Thanks for the help.

www.alpinerovers.com

Arjan

Good Morning,  Arrow

Well, this is what the VIN decoder said ;
254 Model: Land Rover, Series IIA
Body type: Basic
Wheel base: 109in
Engine: petrol
Model years: 1962-1971
Destination: Export, left-hand drive (LHD)
38736 Serial number
H Design: Seven or more significant design modifications (is this still a Land Rover?)

Good Luck

www.thegreenlanecompany.com

Relaxed Traditional Greenlaning Fun

Home of the Overland & Vehicle Documentation Addicts - we Love ATA Carnets

kevgermany

SIIAs were still being made overseas for quite a while after the SIII was introduced. Used to have this problem, as I had an early SIII, driven overland to South Africa and imported there, while the SA factory was still making the SIIAs. Used to cause me no end of problems getting spares as the independant was adamant that SIIIs were from 1973 on...

Check the gearbox, rear diff, they'll probably confirm your diagnosis from the console that it's an SIIA. Another clue may be the chassis construction - later SIIIs had a pressed steel chassis, while the earlier ones and the SIIA had one fabricated from sheet steel and welded.  Another thing that caused me a lot of grief was that mine, like yours, was LHD - and the chassis number is stamped on the opposite side to normal. Was great fun when I came to register it as we couldn't find it, and they wouldn't accept the number on the screw on plate.
Late? Series Iia Identification Problems.
Jump to forum: Go
Subscription Available

All forums are moderated and should not be used to promote businesses or products. Please create your own profile or group for this. We reserve the right to remove any comment we feel is inappropriate at any time.

Privacy | Terms & Conditions | Subscriptions | Redshift Social
MEMBER LOGIN
Connect
Cars For Sale
Featured Advertisers
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy notice | Subs Info
Our Other Websites: Auto Express | Computer Buyer | Computer Shopper | Custom PC | Den of Geek | Den of Wii | Fortean Times | IT Pro
London is Free | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | Octane | PC Pro | The First Post | iGizmo
iMotor | DigitalSLR photography | bit-tech