Forums > LAND ROVER VEHICLES > Defender Forum > smokey on tick over

Smokey On Tick Over
ragnor

i have owned a turbo diesel for the last 15 years, it as done 76,000 miles and recently as started getting very smokey on tick over and when first started, it as had regular oil changes! does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Jaytee

Hello and welcome to the forum Arrow

With the engine running, if you take the filler cap off the rocker cover does it blow air/smoke/oil?

Defender 110 CSW 200TDi 'Gordon'
North Yorkshire
Yorkshire 4X4 Response
Not here long so 'do it while you can'. 'Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero'

marktdi

Hi and welcome to LRA . Is the smoke black ie diesel , blue ie oil , or white ie water ? . If its black it could be injectors or pump , if its blue and lays heavy on ground it could be rings or head gasket , if its white its prob head gasket . Hope this helps

sMUDge

Hi & welcome to LRA Arrow   Nice introduction Arrow

ragnor

thank you for your replies!

when the oil filler cap is removed there is a small amount of smoke and the colour of the exhaust smoke is a bluey whitish! i have a works car so the landy as only been doing a mile or 2 a day to feery my dogs to the fields, i don't think the small runs as done it any favours!

ragnor

so what should be my next step?

Arjan online

Welcome to the LRA Arrow

If I understand you correctly, the use is limited to taking the dogs out so the motor will not warm up.

Do a reall full service, check all the obvious hoses etc. and add a injector cleaner to the tank and take her out for a good drive. Be very gentle at first and warm her up and drive her for a good few miles to make her really through and through warm.

See if this make any difference.

Light use makes things sticky and mucky in an Diesel Turbo.

Good Luck Arrow

www.thegreenlanecompany.com

Relaxed Traditional Greenlaning Fun

Home of the Overland & Vehicle Documentation Addicts - we Love ATA Carnets

sMUDge

so what should be my next step?

About two miles worth of steps, with your dogs.  Leave the Land Rover at home? . . .   Arrow   Laughing

ragnor

THANKS ARJAN, I WILL TRY THAT! THANKS FOR THE SARCASTIC COMMENT SMUDGE, I'M A PART TIME GAME KEEPER WITH 5 DOGS, SO IT IS EASIER TO STICK THEM IN THE LANDY AND DRIVE TO THE SHOOT,THE DOGS AND I CLOCK UP A FEW MILES IN A YEAR!

Arjan online

You have some pics of the dogs please ?

prof. Gundogtrainer & Pickerup myself in the old days...

www.thegreenlanecompany.com

Relaxed Traditional Greenlaning Fun

Home of the Overland & Vehicle Documentation Addicts - we Love ATA Carnets

ragnor

arjan! The dogs are on my profile picture, minus one lurcher, which is probably in the landy! i too used to train and trial my dogs,but now just work them on the shoot!

i will pick up a new air filter and fuel filter tomorrow from DLS which is just down the road, and then clean all the pipes through and take it from there! if it turns out to be anything too serious i will think about putting a 200 tdi engine in it!

Smokey On Tick Over
Jump to forum: Go
Subscription Available

All forums are moderated and should not be used to promote businesses or products. Please create your own profile or group for this. We reserve the right to remove any comment we feel is inappropriate at any time.

Privacy | Terms & Conditions | Subscriptions | Redshift Social
MEMBER LOGIN
Connect
Cars For Sale
Featured Advertisers
Members Online
Company Website | Media Information | Contact Us | Privacy notice | Subs Info
Our Other Websites: Auto Express | Computer Buyer | Computer Shopper | Custom PC | Den of Geek | Den of Wii | Fortean Times | IT Pro
London is Free | MacUser | Men's Fitness | Micro Mart | Octane | PC Pro | The First Post | iGizmo
iMotor | DigitalSLR photography | bit-tech